Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Shaggy New World

I got my hair cut today, for the first time since before.  It was a nice day and Abbey cut it out on the deck.  She's been cutting my hair for maybe thirty years.  Always looks great.

As various regions and states open back up, guys are starting to go to barbershops again, for the first time in maybe four months.  I am reminded of a piece on NPR from a few weeks ago.  I couldn't find it in the NPR archives, so you'll have to take my word for it.

A barber was talking about re-opening his shop and getting back to shaving and haircuts (which are no longer two bits).  Most of his customers' hair was probably longer than it had ever been, guys who had been getting haircuts every two weeks for their whole lives.

Some of his customers had discovered that this was not a bad thing.  "It turns out I like it longer," they'd say.  "Just trim it a little, clean it up."

All over the world, guys* are, for the first time, getting to experiment with longer hair.  Many will keep it.  In the new world, hair will be longer.
 * - I have no idea how this plays out for women in hair salons.

No comments:

Post a Comment