Sunday, May 10, 2020

Meta

One of the reasons for the gap in posts is what some would call “meta.” As each day goes by, I'm less and less sure of what is going to happen, and therefore, what it is that is being written about. We seem to be caught in a stasis: numbers wash over us, unending, but nothing changes.

Are we headed for a long drawn-out battle, led by disinterested and incompetent generals? Will this all go away, slowly but surely? Will we descend into calm, only to have the next storm break around us?

We are lectured by epidemiologists and those who share their opinions and world-views, and they seem unanimous: disaster, considering our approach to this crisis so far. But disaster is neither here*, nor on the horizon – just predictions and speculations. And we are also told that this disease is unpredictable, due both to its apparent character as a rule-breaker, and the long time it takes to know something this new. So we plan with last year's knowledge for the unknowable future.

Which means that the makeup of the new world will depend on which future will find us. Right now, there is no actual evidence that any of them are inevitable – or even highly probable.

By the way, not that you should care, but this make me angry. Come on. Come at me.  Show me what you've got. Don't tease me, don't make me wait. I'm ready for whatever comes – but come on – come.

* - UPDATE - Yes, I understand that 300,000+ deaths qualifies as a disaster.  I'm talking about the predicted responses to our shoddy pandemic response, which are not, at this moment, "here."

No comments:

Post a Comment