Friday, July 2, 2021

Colds in The New World

I got a COVID test this morning, because - the new world.

I have, throughout my long life, gotten a cold maybe once every year or two.  Nothing unusual:  it comes; you deal with it; it goes.  Never thought of missing work or sending out notifications.

I've had a persistent cough for a month or so which feels exactly like an old fashioned cold.  In the last few days, the cough has gotten more persistent.  Nothing new.  Except how I felt I had to handle it.

First, I called the doctor's office, because, for the first time ever, I wanted to know what it was.  Still waiting to hear, so no joy there.

I have one remaining post-post-retirement job, which involves working with a small group of colleagues at a historic mansion north of Cooperstown and leading tours of the mansion.  I certainly didn't want to spend the day coughing all over everyone, and watching folks edge away from me all day, even if I did exercise good cough discipline ("Cough into your elbow!" says my wife who worked with preschoolers for fifteen years).

So this morning I got a COVID test.  Because I have a cold.  The test came back negative.  I e-mailed everyone who works with me and outlined the plan, which is:  I'll go to work tomorrow and wear a mask all day.  At the beginning of each tour, I'll let the guests know that I have a cold and, by the way, tested negative yesterday.  I have the proof, printed out, in my pocket, if anyone would like to see it.  Then we'll start the tour.

If COVID really does become endemic (thanks, anti-vaxxers!), this may be the way we handle colds in the new world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment